Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Seeking Pastoral training

Date: 26 Sept 2005
Dear Pastor,

Thank you for your quick response and attention regarding my pursue of my
calling from the Lord to do integration of theology and psychology as a
life-long theme.

In 1997, I prayed hard to place my life in God's hands when I graduated from
BA(Hons) Psychology, UK, so I wouldn't get lost in busy life/career when I
started my working life in HK. In the same year, I baptised in UK (Baptist church), and joined our Truth Lutheran church. Teacher Ip was my tutor on introduction to Lutheran church, and she heard that I wanted to study how psychiatric people believe in their delusion, and the difference with our believe in CHristian faith, etc. She bared first witness in our church to my undertaking to use my gifts from God.

Since 1996, I learned in my prayers that my gift from God is empathy, and I
responsed to my call to use this gift under the guidance of God to fight
against sin in one's heart. So, I asked God how to live up to this call, and to
cut short, His instruction was:

1) build up research skills (the way to accumlate effectively clinical
experience)
2) learn more about psychology, psychiatry, our brain functions in cognitive
and emotional functions
3) practice what I learn in real people

So my actions to answer these 3 instructions of God:
1) 1998-2002 MPhil in Psychiatry
2) 2004-2007 PhD in Psychiatry (brain imaging)
3) (plan) 2008-2011 PhD in Clinical Psychology so I can practice as a CP

Yet, no one can fight sin except through the strength of the Holy Spirit, so in
sum God's instruction for me during my prayers:
1) strengthen my faith through serving in the church community
2) strengthen my faith through prayer experience to see His work on others
3) fundamental theology training

My actions in response to God's instruction:
1) 1998-1999 bible study group leader
2000-2003 fellowship committee (bible study, retreat camp)
2004 library committee (secretary)
2005 head of library committee, adult sunday school teacher (Samuel)
2) 2004-2005 group leader for a group of substance abusers, lots of grace
experienced through counselling and praying with them
3) 2002-2003 do day-time study in China graduate school of theology in DipCS
But this was just an introduction, so I know exactly why I need to do more
theology and why MDiv in particular.
The call that I am heading towards is to use the language of psychology to tell
the story of theology for people who are sicked (bound by sin) at heart. So I
need to go through fundamental theology training so I can practice church
ministry, and then move towards ThD or PhD in theology (psychology).

My plan of theology training:

1) 2005 - 2007 While I have a relatively flexible schedule during my PhD in
HKU, I'd take some individual theology courses from Lutheran theology seminary.
This would allow myself to test whether I suit to go further on in theology.
The courses taken can allow me to contribute to a MA or MDiv if I want to
enroll into MA or MDiv later (2005 - 2015).

2) 2007 - 2008 Plan to apply through our church into MDiv program for 1-yr
full-time study. In LTS, I can take 8yrs of part-time and 1yr of full-time
study to complete MDiv. If not doing MDiv, I plan to do MA for 1yr of
full-time.

3) 2008 - 2011 With my experience in psychiatry and psychology, it is quite OK
that I can get into a 3yr PhD in Clinical Psychology. With this clinical trainning, I can practice as a qualified clinical psychologist.
During these 3 years, I'd continue to take MDiv or MA as part-time. I intend to complete either in 6-7yrs

4) 2011 - 2013/4 Practice as Clinical Psychologist. Still continue to do MDiv or MA on a part-time basis

5) after 2013/4 When I finally graduate in MDiv, I'd practice church ministry,
and hopefully under Lutheran church.

This is just a preliminary blue print which I have in mind to guide my action. I
have taken 2 courses in LTS and 1 spiritual trainning in To Fung Shan for this
semester. I have shared at length about this vision and plan with Teacher I
and Teacher La last week, and I have contacted Ms Mak Mi Wah upon the
recommendation of Teacher I to apply for the theology study fund (for the
congregation).

In short, there are 2 years for us to see if I am suitable for further theology & pastoral ministry
trainning, and in which seminary, while I take some individual courses in LTS.
Although I prefer LTS, I am still open whether I should do in some other
seminaries. We can review this after I finish the first 2 courses in Dec. I
would be too glad to hear your advice.

THank for reading such a long email.
Working hard....,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home